Learners will use a variety of resources to research a job that interests them. __________________________________________________________
Learner Needs & Goals:
Learning Activity Description:
(2) Ask learners the following questions:
(3) Have the students quickly brainstorm what they think the qualifications are for the job that interests them. Learners should also lists possible places of employment in the area.
(4) The learners can choose to work individually or with a partner on the research. If two learners are interested in the same career, they may choose to work as a team.
In preparation for this part of the lesson, have all the research materials available. You may want to set up a "Jobs Pamphlet Center " at a table. Research materials and a computer that has Internet access would be available here.
(5) After brainstorming job qualifications, distribute Handout #1. The handout includes questions for job research.
(6) Demonstrate how to use the resources to find important information and details about a job. Model how to write and organize notes on the information by focusing on the important details.
(7) Have learners begin their research by using the Career Questions To Research handout as a guide.
(8) When learners are finished, review the information that each one has learned. This is part of the assessment process.
Materials and Resources:
Attachments:(For Internet Explorer users, right click on link then choose "Save target as". For Netscape users, just hold down the shift key and click on the link.)
Handout #1 - Career Questions to Research
When the learner has finished, do an informal assessment. Read his or her notes and ask questions about the research. These questions may lead the learner to reread notes and evaluate whether there is enough information.