Individual students will take their research notes and design a pamphlet describing the occupation they are interested in and the facts about it. __________________________________________________________
Learner Needs & Goals:
Learning Activity Description:
(2) In order to prepare learners to lay out the pamphlet, ask the following questions:
(4) Tell learners to keep Handout #1 and their research notes nearby. Have the learners take a blank piece of paper and fold it to look like a pamphlet. Learners should then use a pencil to begin laying out the pamphlet information. Tell learners to pencil in the headings where they want the information to appear. The headings will be:
Demonstrate the process for the entire class. Discuss the importance of information and how it relates to its placement on the pamphlet.
(5) After learners have written in the headings, ask them to write the information that appears under the heading. Remind them that they can use lists, sentences and paragraphs as needed to explain the information. Tell them that they can write the easiest parts first and return to the more difficult sections later. The draft is handwritten, so that when the learners type the pamphlet, they can concentrate on copying and not composing.
(6) Monitor the writing process. When learners have completed a first draft, give them a copy of the “First Draft Checklist” (Handout #2) to revise their work. Ask them to clarify any problem sentences. You may want to highlight the text that is unclear or not grammatically correct. Learners then write a second draft to clarify and correct the writing.
(7) Finally, learners read each other's drafts using the “First Draft Checklist” to check for clarity and organization. They can then make suggestions for improvement.
Materials and Resources:
Attachments: (For Internet Explorer users, right click on link then choose "Save target as". For Netscape users, just hold down the shift key and click on the link.)