Learners will use a word processing program to make a job pamphlet that is suitable for reproduction. __________________________________________________________
Learner Needs & Goals:
Learning Activity Description:
(2) Each learner should be at a computer with a word processing program. However, if there are not enough computers for each individual, put learners in pairs or groups of three. Distribute a list of steps for setting up a three-column, two-page document for learners’ reference. Demonstrate how to set up the pamphlet and provide one-on-one help for beginners. After the demonstration, review the steps briefly.
(3) After the document is set up, the learners can type a copy of the information that was written in the previous lesson. If clipart is available, it can be used to enhance the look of the pamphlet with pictures, photos, borders, or fancy fonts. Demonstrate the use of the clip-art program as you did the word processing program.
(4) Show learners how to save the document to the disk and demonstrate how to print it. Copy centers can also print from the disk if you do not have a printer available.
(5) Have learners do a final check of spelling and other errors after printing a copy of the document. When the pamphlets are finished, determine how many copies you will need for your immediate class and future classes. Finally, have the pamphlets copied. You may want to pursue a photocopying donation from the local photocopy shop to cover the expenses.
(6) Depending on the copying store services, you may have to ask learners to fold the pamphlets. Learners are also responsible for distribution.
Materials and Resources:
(2) Ask learners to compare their pamphlets to the commercially produced pamphlets. Have them brainstorm ways that their own pamphlets could be improved?
(3) Develop and use a rubric that includes the skills of organizing, pre-writing, revising, and using a word processing program in order to evaluate the learners’ products.